IFCJ’s TV ad campaign

January 19, 2009 - 6:33 PM by

Rabbi Yechiel EcksteinThe Zionist community might be a little queasy about its relationship with The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews. After all, can supporters of Jerry Falwell and the Gush Katif crowd really share a bed comfortably? But the fact is, Chicago and Jerusalem native Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein’s organization has done amazing work when it comes to fostering support for Israel.

Last month, Eckstein was interviewed on the decidedly Jewish-flavored Shalom TV, where he defended his work with characteristic eloquence, speaking about how terror groups’ publicity campaigns in South America, for example, must be offset by his own.

Eckstein is no stranger to TV. His very own Journey To Zion program, which has been airing for about a year and a half on Christian television networks in the US, provides a pulpit for Eckstein’s introductory Jewish teachings.

And for the past several months, the IFCJ has been running TV ads on Fox News – something which no other pro-Israel informational organization has had the nerve or means to do. The spots (example here) may be sensationalistic, and they may stray from the latest trends of pushing an image of Israel as a nation of high-tech and supermodels, but they’re poignant, and they have yielded results.

This past March, back in the early days of the ad campaign, the IFCJ reported having raised enough funds to make a difference:

IFCJ funded the renovation of 32 public bomb shelters in Sderot at a cost of $1.5 million. In addition, the organization has recently pledged to upgrade 400 bomb shelters in privately-owned residences in Ashkelon at an expected cost of $2 million.

Even Haaretz is taking note, running a story last week on the campaign under the headline “Jewish charity brings U.S. viewers Israel’s version of the war in Gaza.”

Comments

19 Comments on IFCJ’s TV ad campaign

1. Menorah on Mon, Jan 19th 2009 7:40 PM
  2. Yep the Rabbi has given a lot to the communities in Israel. He receives most of his donations from Christians. However, I Jew who coverts to Christianity if black balled from his donations. Christians do not receive on penny from him. Why should they give money to him.

3. Walter Lonsdale on Sun, Feb 15th 2009 4:42 PM
  4. Christians do not donate money to him but to the cause. Christians are starting to understand that the Jewish people are responsible for bringing the Messiah and know that God will bless those that bless t hee and curse those who curse thee. Believe it or not, Christians are generous.

5. KATHLEEN E. CORRA on Fri, Mar 20th 2009 5:59 PM
  6. THIS IS THE MOST PATHETIC COMMERICIAL I HAVE EVER SEEN. IT MAKES MY HEART HURT. I KNOW THE JEWISH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WRONGED BUT DO YOU NOT SEE THAT YOU ARE JUST AS GUILTY WITH THIS AD. GO ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE THE ELDERLY LIVE AND YOU WILL FIND THEM CRYING FROM BEING ALONE, NOT CARED FOR AND BEING BASICALLY LEFT TO DIE OF OLD AGE. YOU ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE THESE BEAUTIFUL ELDERLY PEOPLE CRYING BEGGING FOR MONEY FOR YOUR CAUSE AT A TIME PEOPLE HERE ARE WONDERING WHERE THERE NEXT MEAL IS COMING FROM. TALK ABOUT EXPLOITATION YOU HAVE HIT A NEW LOW.

7. Debbie on Fri, Apr 3rd 2009 5:33 PM
  8. Suffering is suffering. Help where you can, help whoever you can. Don’t complain that there are elderly suffering in the US and not help them too if you can. We can’t help everyone, but when asked, I have no problem helping an elderly Jew celebrate Passover, and if asked or if I see an elderly cold American that is hungry, I will help them if I can. I see no evidence that money is going to the organization and not the people, so if this organization wants to help look after their elderly and reach out for help, I respect that. The world would be a sad place if we didn’t have charitable organizations, who help the suffering who can’t help themselves, because they are old, or sick, or hungry and weak.

9. Debbie on Fri, Apr 3rd 2009 5:45 PM
  10. A lot of Americans are Jewish, so this add is appropriate to reach them and let them know about the suffering of their people, and a lot of Americans are Christian, who have studied Jewish history and know the contributions to Science etc. that the Jews have given the world. To not air this commercial would be antisemetic and choosing what to put on the air, by what race the organization or faith of the people in an organization, and I for one wouldn’t want to be hated because of my faith, unless my faith was spewing hatred. We shouldn’t be able to in this country pick and choose with no laws to back us up. Other stations that refused to air this commercial, are picking and choosing, and that is a dangerous slope, because soon they may be picking and choosing against you and I.

11. Bradford Imboden on Wed, Apr 15th 2009 8:59 AM
  12. God has made it very clear to me that this must happen. These are Gods children .And what we do for these people will please God. I cant think of anything else i would rather do!! AMEN

13. Jairo Garcia on Sat, Jul 4th 2009 10:32 AM
  14. DIOS BENDIGA AL PUEBLO DE ISRAEL!……muchisima gente que solo habla espanol quiere ayudar, pero no saben como hacerlo. por favor pasen informacion al pueblo hispano que ama Israel. somos millones y queremos ayudar a esta preciosa nacion. DIOS BENDIGA ISRAEL!…….DIOS BENDIGA A ISRAEL!…….yo amo ISRAEL…..mi familia ama ISRAEL….mi pais, COLOMBIA, ama ISRAEL…………..Rabbi YECHIEL, soy un hombre que llevo 4 anos y medio orando por el pueblo de ISRAEL, GLORIA A JESUCRISTO UNICAMENTE!…Salmo 122:6………GLORIA A DIOS!…..yo estoy radicado en U.S.A. !DIOS BENDIGA EL MINISTERIO DEL RABBI YECHIEL!

15. Ric Schaefer on Mon, Aug 3rd 2009 8:29 AM
  16. Rabbi Eckstein and the Fellowship is a wonderful organization, focused on biblical statements and bringing them to life. Through the work that the Fellowship is doing Christians have a chance to change things for the Jewish people of today and to bless the survivors of the Holocaust. Most of the world sat back and watched and did very little to support the Jewish people during the Holocaust. Yes, in the end American and other Nations did step in! But how many millions died during the Holocaust before the nations (Christians) stepped in?
    In the Old Testament (The Torah) we read (Gen. 12:3), “I will bless those that bless you and those that curse you I will curse, and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you”. The Jewish people have blessed America, and the other nations through the centuries in ways that many have no idea about. As Christians and Americans we are not taught the many things that come from the Jewish people.
    First I would like to ask do you believe in the Bible? Who do you think wrote the Old Testament? Jewish people! Who is responsible for writing the majority of the New Testament? Paul, again a Jewish man! If you are a Christian, who died for your sins? A Jewish man named Jesus (Yeshua)!!!

The following is a list of Jewish people and what they have contributed:

Jewish Actors and Actresses:
    Cary Grant — Classical good looks and humor
    Alicia Silverstone — Actress – Clueless, The Crush, The Babysitter, Batman
    Barbara Streisand — Singer and actress winner of two Oscars, four Emmys, nine Golden Globes, and other awards.
    Mandy Patinkin — Emmy & Tony award-winning actor, ‘Dr Jeffrey Geiger’ on TV’s Chicago Hope
    Harrison Ford — Actor: ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’, ‘Star Wars’, ‘ American Graffiti’, ‘Witness’, ‘The Fugitive’
    Gwyneth Paltrow — Oscar winner
    William Shatner — Captain James T. Kirk on the original ‘Star Trek’
    Natalie Portman — Actress, Queen Amidala in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    Al Jolson — famous entertainer. Starred in the first talking movie
    Winona Ryder — Star of films like Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Little Women, Beetlejuice
    Noah Wyle — Actor, ‘Dr John Carter’ on TV’s ER
    Michael Landon — Little Joe Cartwright on Bonanza
    Mark Frankel — Actor in ‘Sisters’ and ‘Fortune Hunter’
    Sarah Jessica Parker — Acress in ‘Sex and the City’, ‘LA Story’
    Seth Green — television actor, Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Family Guy.
    Robert Downey, Jr. — actor in ‘Less Than Zero,’ ‘Chaplin,’ ‘Short Cuts.’
    Paul Newman — Academy Award winning actor and philanthropist

Musicians:
    Itzhak Perlman — Grammy-winning Violin soloist
    Max Weinberg — Drummer for Springstein and musical director for Conan O’Brien
    Isaac Stern — Violin virtuoso
    George Gershwin — American composer of many vocal and theatrical works written in collaboration with his older brother, lyricist Ira Gershwin.
    Jascha Heifetz — Violinist
    Yehudi Menuhin — Violinist
    Herb Alpert — Leader and trumpeter of Tijuana Brass
    Stan Getz — Jazz Tenor Sax player most famous for The Girl from Ipanema
    Julio Iglesias — Internationally famous Spanish singer. Holds Guinness world record for the most albums sold in the most languages.

Scientists:
    Albert Einstein — One of the most famous and influential scientists since Isaac Newton
    Carl Sagan — astronomer and popular science author; made book and TV series ‘Cosmos’
    Niels Bohr — Nobel prize-winning Physicist: atomic structure
    Roald Hoffmann — Nobel prize winner in Chemistry: field of electronic structures
    Fritz Haber — winner of the Nobel Prize of Chemistry in 1918, for the synthesis of ammonia from its elements
    Edward Teller — Physicist, father of the hydrogen bomb
    Leo Szilard — Physicist, proved the possibility of a nuclear chain reaction in 1933.
    Jonas Salk — Developed the first polio vaccine.

Business Professionals:
    Milton Hershey — Hershey’s Chocolate founder
    Michael Dell — Founder of Dell Computer
    Larry Ellison — Founder and CEO of Oracle
    Alan Greenspan — Federal Reserve Chairman under Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush
    Steve Ballmer — CEO of Microsoft and the richest Jew in the world
    Sir James Goldsmith — financier and banker who amongst others has taken over Goodyear.
    George Soros — millionaire philanthropist who has donated millions to aid Eastern Europe.

Fashion designers:
    Calvin Klein — Famous Clothes Designer
    Ralph Lauren — (Ralph Lipshitz) world famous fashion designer
    Levi Strauss — Inventor of Blue Jeans
    Kenneth Cole — Fashion Designer who’s married to Mario Cuomo’s daughter

Comedians:
    Jerry Lewis — A comedian who teamed up with Dean Martin
    Marcel Marceau — The most famous mime in history
    Jerry Seinfeld — Stand up comedian, TV show Seinfeld, American Express commercials
    Milton Berle — Comedian who pioneered comedy/variety on television
    Jack Benny — Reknowned radio and TV comic

Directors and Producers:
    Steven Spielberg — Director of films such as Saving Private Ryan & Schindler’s List, Jurassic Park, E.T.,
    Stanley Kubrick — Director of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Spartacus
    Mel Brooks — Film director, producer, actor: Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein
    Woody Allen — Film Maker/Actor: Annie Hall, Bullets Over Broadway, Mighty Aphrodite, Antz
    Roman Polanski — Director, screenwriter, actor: Rosemary’s Baby, Macbeth, Chinatown, Tess
    Ben Stiller — Director/Actor: Seinfeld, SNL, Reality Bites, Something About Mary, The Cable Guy
    Aaron Spelling — Produced Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place…
    Oliver Stone — Popular Director: The Doors, J.F.K., Heaven And Earth, Natural Born Killers

Artists:
    Marc Chagall — Painter, designer and graphic artist
    Camille Pissarro — Father of Impressionism

Politicians:
    Golda Mabovitch (Golda Myerson, Golda Meir) – the fourth prime minister of the State of Israel.

Jewish Nobel Prize Winners
    The Nobel Prizes are awarded by the Nobel Foundation of Sweden to men and women who have rendered the greatest service to humankind. Between 1901 and 2008, more than 750 Nobel Prizes were handed out. Of these, at least 163 are Jews.

Now through the Fellowship we are being offered an opportunity to give back to the Jewish people and the Nation of Israel. Please bless Israel and the Jewish Nation! Help them feed their hungry, the survivors of the Holocaust, and prepare for the coming of the Lord! Without your help they will survive (they are G-d’s chosen people), but with your help they can survive a little more comfortably. There is something in it for you also, you get to have that wonderful feeling of having helped (blessed) another person and the promise of G-d that you will be blessed in return.

17. Andrew J Stollar on Wed, Dec 9th 2009 11:13 PM
  18. 12-10-2009 I am appalled by the comments of Kathleen Corra. We have a huge federal bureaucracy to help elderly people in the US and many private church and non-church organizations. In the former USSR (which I taught a course about on economics at the University level), there is NO such help for elderly Jews who suffered through the Holocaust and Stalin’s mistreatment. I was brought to tears as an ex-Catholic who is returning to Catholicism by the Rabbi’s visit with the old man somewhere in Russia. One could feel the emotion in the good Rabbi’s demeanor. This commercial should appeal to all people who are well-off and care; both Christians and Jews. I lived with a Jewish family while getting my PhD in Economics and they treated me like a son. I have several Jewish friends – some religious and some not. They are wonderful people.
    I will give $50 to the Rabbi’s cause just for the old Russian Jews who survived the Holocaust. I am half German and half Irish in ethnic heritage and I speak a little German and Russian. To the Rabbi I say: Alles Gute (All the Best) and Очен Хорошо (very good (work)). To Kathleen I say: you would probably like the Nazi saying over the concentration camp gates “Arbeit Macht Frei” (Work makes one free). Sorry, but that’s the way I feel about you after reading your whining and totally uncompassionate comments. You are ignorant of your own country’s social safety net (which doesn’t surprise me as an educator).
    Доктор Андрей Иианович Столлар

19. Laura on Mon, Jul 12th 2010 10:14 AM
  20. The Jewish people have been disenfranchised in many societies, tortured and murdered. Why are they singled out? Yes, other races of people have been mistreated as well, usually for some period of time but not to the extent ofthe Jews.

Even now, while Islamists vow to destroy Israel much of the world sides with the Islamists–who. by the way, also wish to bring Sharia law to the entire world.

My family and I support IFCJ as Christians. We cannot entertain the voices against Israel, we can only do that which we know G-d would have us do. May I testify that not only has He blessed Israel though our giving in His name, but He has blessed us just as He said He would – Gen. 12:3.

21. Phil Pasley on Thu, Feb 10th 2011 6:30 AM
  22. Almost all of you have not studied your bible. Christ said “to the Jew first and then to the Gentile”. Paul stated” that since the Gentiles received salvation from Jews the Christians should give back to the Jews”. It is our duty as Christians to help the Jewish poor. Christ said “whatever you do for the least of these you also do for me”. He was speaking of the poor Jews. Do your job, be a Christian or Christ like in your actions and support the Jewish poor around the world!

23. Laurie on Fri, Feb 11th 2011 3:15 AM
  24. Our family supports IFCJ because we believe it is our responsibility to love and assist the Jewish people in Israel. The “Guardians of Israel” is IFCJ’s org to help the poor in Israel, “Isaiah 58″ helps poor Jews in the former Soviet Union. My favorite to contribute to is “On Wings of Eagles” because they bring Jews from the former Soviet Union and Etheopia to Israel where they will no longer be abused and can live among people who respect them. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

25. Gary Givan on Fri, Mar 4th 2011 7:45 PM
  26. I finally have to something about your $25 package to Jews in Russia. I feel that it could be a scam! I am married to a Russian Jew and have traveled all over Russia and have met some very interesting and informative people. No person in Russia suffers from a lack of food or religious persecution. I spoke to Amb. Lavrov about this( my wife’s family is very well connected.) and I can say with absolute certainly that these people are not impoverished or starving and no one is being denied their faith. The Russian Gov. always takes care of their own, despite the rumors to the contrary.
    Please, tell the real story and quit scamming the American people! You people are idiots and I “will” expose you for what you are!. Dare to debate?
    Sincerely, Gary Givan

27. Laura on Mon, Mar 21st 2011 4:52 PM
  28. sha ‘lu shalom yerushalayim. Gary Givan’s comment tells it all when he says his wife’s family is “well connected”. It is doubtful that the well connected know or care much of the suffering Jews. They would not want the world to know how Jews are treated. If what he says were true, he would not be one of the few saying it.

The folks in the U.S. do not always take care of their own elderly, that is true. Their care is often left to the government and charity. I am pleased to help the needy wherever I find them. However, as a Christian, I know it is my duty to give to the Jews as Jesus said and I am honored and priviliged to have enough for my family and blessed with more to give to help them.

IFCJ is an organization that enables Christians to show their love and caring to the Jewish people. Thank you, Rabbi.

29. Don Dineen on Wed, Jun 8th 2011 5:14 AM
  30. We were concerned about how “real”charity is. The ad bothers me, especially since it is getting dated. We wondered are these old folks actually getting donations? We give to several Jewish charities and the NRA. I was so turned off by the JDL describing me as a redneck terrorist, because I believe in guns for self defense. After being insulted by the JDL, I sent money to the JPFO, Jews for Protection of Firearms Ownership. I can’t understand why Jews vote democrat. Obama is letting Israel twist in the wind.
    Is this a good charity?

31. Ann C on Wed, Jun 29th 2011 6:32 AM
  32. We give to the IFCJ because the funds truly go to help the needed in Israel. Probably most, if not all, of us who are Christians and give to the IFCJ also make whatever contributions we can to our local missions and foodbanks.

The elderly Jews who, because of our contributions, make it out of the former Soviet Union, but come with few, if any, possessions because they are poverty-stricken.

We believers give out of love and expect nothing in return except to know that somewhere in Israel, the needy receive help; that somewhere in the former SU or Ethiopia, the gift of alliya brings Jews back home.

I hope and pray that IFCJ will be blest in its work, that no naysayer will succeed in harming the reputation of its leadership.

33. margaret Mariani on Sat, Dec 17th 2011 8:37 PM
  34. I don’t want to see any jewish person go hungry ever..Jesus would want us to feed his people..I also expect Isreal to help take care of her people..I love jewish people from all over the world. may god bless each one..

35. Laura Hill on Sun, Dec 18th 2011 1:21 PM
  36. Jesus makes His will abundantly clear for the relationship between gentiles and Jews. All that He leads us to do results in a double blessing – a blessing to those who do His will and give, as well as a blessing for those who receive. Very plain and easy to do. Giving of ourselves whether money, prayers, or kind acts makes even a non-believer a better person. My family is a living testimony for followin His will and instructions regarding tithing and blessin Israel has brought us from poverty to more than enough through following His instructions.. He keeps His word and His promises.

37. Don Dineen on Sun, Dec 18th 2011 8:12 PM
  38. I still have concerns about the charity. We don’t want any person to go hungry. Through some small donations to Yad Vashem and the Holocaust Museum and small support for the BAS we give a little to help people remember. When I sent inquiries to several Jewish groups about thei stands they take on political issues near and dear to me. I never get a clear response.