Santana cancels – touring glitch or anti-Israel lobby?

January 31, 2010 - 11:17 AM by

The announcement had been made, the tickets were being sold, and the hearts of aging baby boomers were actually beating above their normal rate at the thought of seeing Woodstock veteran Carlos Santana and band perform in June in Tel Aviv at Bloomfield Stadium.

Santana was just one of the name artists who confirmed dates for this year – leading a pack that includes Elton John, Rod Stewart, the Pixies, Rhiana, and rumors of shows by Bob Dylan, Metallica, Coldplay and U2.

But, mysteriously over the weekend, the show’s producer Shuki Weiss, released a statement saying that Santana had cancelled the performance to and undetermined time, citing an overloaded spring touring schedule.

Stuff like this happens all the time in the music business, but only in Israel is it chalked up to to anti-Israel sentiments. Yediot Aharonot
ran a story this morning quoting an unnamed source in Weiss’s office as saying that “messages” had been passed onto Santana that it wouldn’t be a wise thing to play in Israel.

Both Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen experienced pressure from pro-Palestinian groups to cancel their shows here over the last two years. And McCartney allegedly even received death threats. So, it’s not an uncommon occurence.

However, someone like Carlos Santana and his management, surely review the proposed itineraries of his tours before giving the OK for confirmation. And Carlos has been around long enough to not be swayed by anti-Israel thuggery – I recall he even used to be in his own youth knife gang as a teen, so he can stand up to threats.

So let’s hope that it was a technical touring glitch, and that the other superstars headed our way won’t be swayed by the misguided propaganda of our adversaries. On the positive side, we won’t have to hear the fiery guitarist extraordinaire perform his Top 40 hit “Smooth.”

Comments

17 Comments on Santana cancels – touring glitch or anti-Israel lobby?

1. David-Joe on Mon, Feb 1st 2010 5:21 AM
  2. You glamorize being a member of a gang by associating it with moral courage? C’mon man!! THINK!

Santana has long been someone that has spoken out AGAINST Israel.

Its amazing how Israel apparently craves approval from the world. That is not the Israel of my youth. The late great State of Israel……

3. Karin Kloosterman on Tue, Feb 2nd 2010 10:55 AM
  4. David,

Why don’t you try and get an interview with Carlos to find out why?

5. David on Wed, Feb 3rd 2010 2:16 PM
  6. Hi Karin,
    indeed I am trying to do that.. stay tuned…

7. Harold on Wed, Feb 3rd 2010 7:40 PM
  8. Since when has Santana spoken out against Israel? I’ve been told (by a very reliable source) that Carlos Santana loves Judaism, and I’ve seen a photo of Santana standing at the western wall with his hand pressed against it in devotion.

9. Destaques da Mídia – 2010-02-04 | PLETZ.com on Thu, Feb 4th 2010 6:50 AM
  10. [...] cancels – touring glitch or anti-Israel lobby? http://israelity.com/2010/01/31/santana-cancels-touring-glitch-or-anti-israel-lobby/ [...]

11. miriam sofer on Fri, Feb 5th 2010 6:42 PM
  12. never hrard he was anti-israel. one never knows. hope rhianna doesn’t cancel. she is much better to wtch anyway.

13. soccer dad on Sun, Feb 7th 2010 4:04 PM
  14. How old is he? 70? So yes, I could believe that he might want to scale back a tough touring schedule.

Besides, catching all those games plus playing guitar must be awfully grueling.

15. GdAwg on Tue, Feb 16th 2010 2:07 AM
  16. Santana is not 70 his 62 I guess maybe Santana management cancelled Santana tour not him

[...] some cancel, like Carlos Santana. Santana — who performed in Israel in the past — dropped Israel for [...]

17. Jim on Sat, Apr 3rd 2010 4:16 AM
  18. Harold- Israel≠Judaism, and the problem is that people see them as being equal. Also, just because an individual is anti-Israel or pro-Palestine does not mean that they support militant groups (i.e. Hamas) or that they are anti-semitic.

19. Harold on Sun, Apr 18th 2010 3:26 PM
  20. I never know what people mean when they say “anti-Israel” or “pro-Palestine.” Those terms in and of themselves are ambiguous to me. If you say you are “anti-Israel” and by that you mean that you oppose some Israeli government policies, that’s one thing. If you say you are “anti-Israel” and by that you mean that the Jews have no right to a homeland and no right to govern themselves just as other peoples do, then that’s totally different altogether. And there are lots of people who fall in the latter category. With regard to Santana and Judaism, yes, Judaism and Israel are not the same thing. But, as I remarked before, I’ve seen a photo of Santana at the Western Wall. I have no idea about Santana’s political views of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but I find it hard to believe that Santana is “anti-Israel” in the sense that he thinks the state of Israel has no right to exist as a Jewish state.

21. Occam's Tool on Thu, Jun 24th 2010 12:03 AM
  22. Jim,
    One can oppose an action of Israel without being antisemitic, but to desire the State’s destruction when Israel is part of the warp and woof of Judaism is another thing. (Jim, how does a Seder supper end?)

However, most of the Opposers I run across are antisemitic. Sorry, you actually have to prove otherwise to me, since the guilt by association correlation is pretty substantial. And yes, there are self-hating Jews—Noam Chomsky, for instance.

23. Jim on Sun, Jul 4th 2010 8:44 AM
  24. Occam’s Tool,

I would like to know how you define “anti-Semitic” and examples of how/why Chomsky is a “self-hating Jew.” I hear this charge against both Chomsky and many other scholars often enough but it is rarely backed up.

Also, for instance, is believing the founding of Israel as something unjust anti-Semitic? Is being against a “Jewish homeland” anti-Semitic?

I am not attempting to patronize you, I am simply curious.

25. Occam's Tool on Thu, Aug 26th 2010 9:47 PM
  26. Yes, given that there are FEWER Jews now in 2010 than there were in 1939, and not because of assimilation but because of the Holocaust, being against a Jewish refuge is anti-semitic. If you support things that will kill Jews or make it more dangerous for Jews to live, explain to me how that is NOT antisemitic. That’s what I don’t get about people like you. The story of the Jews is one of powerlessness correlated with massacres over and over. I would expect even you could understand this. As for Noam, Chomsky wants to see Israel destroyed. Read his stuff.

My IQ is considerably higher than yours, I’m sure. I’m a Mensan with a Doctorate. I doubt you could patronize me.

27. Occam's Tool on Thu, Aug 26th 2010 9:52 PM
  28. And the Doctorate is from University of Texas, incidentally.

By the way, having to tie yourself up in intellectual knots to prove you’re not something that simple reasoning would indicate that you are leads me to the conclusion that you don’t grasp my name.

29. Jim on Fri, Aug 27th 2010 2:10 AM
  30. Wow, why am I not surprised. How typical that any anti-Israel person who opposes the nation’s actions because they are downright disgraceful is an anti-semite. I am not going to further waste my time generating further “anti-semitic” comments or responding to your fear-mongering comments.

31. Hotels Paphos on Wed, Mar 30th 2011 11:12 AM