Walmart in Israel?

September 16, 2010 - 6:15 PM by

Walmart coming to Israel?

For those of us who have moved to Israel, a trip back to the old country usually includes a shopping trip to a “big box” store – a football sized extravaganza of conspicuous consumption which, in our case, actually saves us money when comparing U.S. prices with those in Israel.

Who among us hasn’t left Israel with one piece of checked luggage and returned with three filled with boxes of batteries, piles of pants, telephone headsets, hard drives and a two year supply of toothpaste and deodorant?

Well, there may be good news for expatriates and price conscious Israelis alike: Haaretz reported this week that real estate company Minrav Holdings wants to bring Walmart to Israel. Minrav says it approached Walmart several months ago about entering the Israeli market and has already been scouting out sites. That may not be so easy, at least in the country’s urban areas – Walmarts can reach as large as 20,000 square meters.

If Walmart did come to Israel, it would be joining other international chains such as Ikea, Office Depot and even Cinema City (which has branches all across Europe), not to mention ubiquitous food vendors such as McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Naturally both Minrav and Walmart had no comments, with Walmart going so far as to say “we don’t respond to rumors.” And no Wal-Mart representatives have visited Israel yet, Haaretz said. Still it’s a tantalizing possibility. It really is kind of a long trip to the States just to bring back 50 pairs of underwear.

Comments

14 Comments on Walmart in Israel?

1. Shmuel Veffer on Thu, Sep 16th 2010 10:21 PM
  2. This would seem to take away the last excuse from North American’s making Aliyah!

3. chaim on Tue, Sep 21st 2010 12:31 PM
  4. love this post! glad to know i’m not the only one who brings that extra suitcase whenever i visit the states! too funny and oh so true!

5. canuck on Tue, Sep 21st 2010 7:51 PM
  6. You can bring Walmart to Israel, but not their prices. IKEA Israel is significantly more expensive than IKEA USA, as is every major brand – GAP, Apple, etc.

7. marcia lewis on Wed, Sep 22nd 2010 2:12 PM
  8. dont do it. walmart in the u.s. has destroyed whole towns by putting every small shop out of business. the beautiful little shops are so picturesque, i spend hours in them in netanya, t.a. and all over. they all have bargains. walmart workers in the u.s. are underpaid not allowed a union and most end up on welfare. dont let them mess up whole towns in eretz!!

9. jo on Tue, Oct 19th 2010 11:35 AM
  10. totally agree with marcia lewis, don’t ever let wal mart in Israel. wal mart will suck all the money out of Israel and put little to nothing back,destroy small mom and pop shops. they treat their workers like dirt. keep them out of Israel!!!

11. Wal mart User on Wed, Dec 29th 2010 5:46 AM
  12. Mom and Pop shops have killed themselves, by not offering what people want.
    While people may love to browse in Mom & Pop Shops – they don’t spend enough there for the owners to keep the doors open.

Wal-mart is only sucessful because… it delivers what people want.
    And if it wasn’t walmart, it would be k-mart, target, sears, jc penneys,etc giving people what they want. Low prices in one location.

Yes, while some people may enjoy browsing countless stores all over town, the majority of us have jobs and lives and we prefer to get all we need in one place. And we reward that place with our business.

Walmart generates tax revenues and for those on welfare – who actually want to work – they now have a place that will employ them. Walmart also offers $4 prescriptions on most generics – not only for employees, but everyone.

The dirty little secret of liberals who hate walmart is: They continue to shop there for the same reason I do – it is awesomely inexpensive and super convienent.

13. Lola on Mon, Feb 21st 2011 4:17 AM
  14. I am a cashier at Wal-Mart in the United States. Ohio to be exact. Wal-Mart treats their assocates really good. I know. I love working and shopping at Wal-Mart. Those that say Wal-Mart treats their employees like dirt has never worked at Wal-Mart and only spreads the propaganda the far left socialists want the rest of the world to believe. Israel would benefit greatly by obtaining a Wal-Mart in their country. I love and support Israel, and I definitely love and support Wal-Mart. May God bless Israel, May God Bless the United States of America, and May God bless Wal-Mart. Thats my opinion.

15. an on Sun, Mar 6th 2011 1:39 AM
  16. I agree with the pro Wal Mart people. Mom and pop stores are nice when mom and pop are not annoying, high pressure, israeli sales people, that barely close any business so that when you do walk in their store, they see you like a dollar sign. Don’t get me wrong, I love Israeli’s but they haven’t quite mastered customer service.

I would love to see a Wal Mart here. Its the one of the things I miss the most in the US. Great to stop and one place and get all your needs met. Especially when gas is about $7.50 a gallon. Its big, convenient, prices are good, and no one bothers you. I just came back from the States and brought the suitcase full of Walmart goods. Its the one place I can go to get almost everything I need, and since its open 24 7 in the US, no one is rushing me to finish up quickly. Wal Mart hires more seniors than any other country, and donates more money than any other retailer. I love going to IKEA in Israel and I would love going to WalMart even if the prices were a little higher in Israel.

17. sima on Mon, Sep 5th 2011 7:29 AM
  18. Hope they come… and Sooooon.

19. bob snodgrass on Sat, Oct 15th 2011 8:12 AM
  20. i dont know about walmart in Israel,but i been working for walmart in USA for 10-years. it used to be good, but something terrible happened, its likethe devil himself took over. i got a write up for something i didnt do so i used walmarts open door policy to challenge it. they say it extends all the way to the CEO. when i got up to home office with my issue someone called, wouldnt give his full name or position, and said if i try to call the CEO i may be fired.so,i checked with the ethics dept and they told me i cannot be fired for that it is part of the walmart open door process of voicing concerns and the anti- retaliation statement would not allow any form of retaliation. not only that. but the ethics dept instructed me to report the threat of retaliation to the CEO’s office. when i tried to call they diverted my calls and then fired me when i showed up for work the next day. i called back the ethics dept and told them i got fired for doing exactly as they instructed me and they said that is impossible i cant be fired for that and i need to call the CEO and report this. it seems to be impossible to get through to the CEO and i just cant believe i got fired telling the truth, using the open door with perfect integrity and following the guidlines exactly. walmart violated all its own ethics and policy and procedures and fired me for doing nothing wrong at all.

21. Richard owens on Sat, Apr 28th 2012 10:12 PM
  22. ARE there stores where you can buy camping grear in Israel?

23. Richard owens on Sat, Apr 28th 2012 10:13 PM
  24. if so what are the names and where are they located?

25. Tamela Beckman on Sat, Apr 20th 2013 6:10 PM
  26. I hope a Walmart comes to Israel!! I live in America and love the Jewish people and have often dreamed of moving to Israel!! But how could I survive I wondered. I know the Lord opened the door for my job here at Walmart…(have worked here almost 4 years now)….so this could actually be a possibility! To transfer with my company to a Walmart in Israel…how awesome that would be!!!

27. Tamela Beckman on Sat, Apr 20th 2013 6:17 PM
  28. As for those who say Walmart destroys communities..it’s not true. We donate SO MUCH to our community…and also to Children’s Miracle Network. My Walmart even helped me after my divorce by donating to Habitat for Humanity, which in turn allowed me to help build my own home!! I’m making those mortgage payments each month!! No job or company is perfect. YOU help make the most of your own job by appreciating the customers and serving them. And each week when I get to my two days off…I relish them…then it’s back to Walmart and back to work. This is how we roll!!